Snow chains help ensure your safety. During the winter/snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles entering the resort carry snow chains and fit them when the conditions require on Ben Lomond Road.
This is due to the icy road conditions and also allows safe passage up the steep incline and hairpin corners of Jacobs Ladder and along Ben Lomond plateau at the top of the ladder (Road).
All vehicles driving beyond the entry station car park prior to the Carr Villa Rd turnoff within the Ben Lomond National Park, during the snow season (June – October), must carry correctly fitted snow chains at all times. It is the responsibility of drivers to determine when they may need to fit chains unless directed to do so by staff from the PWS.
Winter adds a complexity in getting all the way to the village. If you don’t have or can’t get chains, or perhaps you just don’t feel confident, a shuffle service from the Parks Entry Station is the perfect answer to your problems. Two shuffle buses, located on the mountain 24/7 and will collect snow goers from the bottom car park at the Parks and Wildlife Service entry station and can deliver you to the car park at the base of the boardwalk.
If you are catching the shuffle service you do not need to hire chains! Call Ben Lomond Snow Sports (03) 6390 6185 for a pickup or to arrange a booking.
Chains should be fitted properly when directed either by signage or Mountain Staff.
Snow chains are loops of chain that fit over your car’s wheels (usually the back wheels on rear wheel drive cars and front wheels on front wheel drive cars) to provide extra traction in the snow – refer to your car manual or car manufacturer for exact fitting requirements.
There are many chain hire outlets along the route to Mt Hotham.
Here are a few handy tips:
- Make sure the chains you buy or hire are suitable for the wheel diameter and tyre size of your vehicle
- It is your responsibility to know how to fit wheel chains and ensure they are the correct size
- Pack a waterproof blanket to lie on and keep your gloves accessible
- Practice fitting the chains before leaving home or at the hire outlet
- If you’re unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions at the hire shop
- Remember, you don’t need to jack up your car to fit the chains. In fact, it could be very dangerous if the road is icy and slippery
- Do not exceed 40km while snow chains are fitted and keep a safe emergency breaking distance from vehicles in front